Sunday, September 30, 2012

Best of the Bunch - September 2012


Best of the Bunch is a monthly meme hosted by Always Lost in Stories on the last day of every month.
The aim of this meme is to share the best book that we have read or reviewed in that month and give it our Best of the Bunch award.




September reads:










The Old Man and the Sea by Ernest Hemingway ~ ★★★
Aftermath by Andrea Cremer ~ ★★★★
Döckálfar by Saga Berg ~ ★★★★★
Hana by Lauren Oliver ~ ★★★
Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone by J.K. Rowling ~ ★★★★★
The Stereotypical Freaks by Howard Shapiro ~ ★★★★★ ~ My review.
Goodnight Sam by Inger Iversen ~ ★★★★★
Splintered by A.G. Howard ~ ★★★★★ ~ Review to come!
A Midsummer Night's Dream by William Shakespeare ~ ★★★★★




And the Best of the Bunch winner of August 2012 is...

~ Splintered by A.G. Howard
Paperback arc, 377 pages
Expected publication: January 1st 2013 by Amulet Books


Alyssa Gardner hears the whispers of bugs and flowers—precisely the affliction that landed her mother in a mental hospital years before. This family curse stretches back to her ancestor Alice Liddell, the real-life inspiration for Lewis Carroll’s Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland. Alyssa might be crazy, but she manages to keep it together. For now.

When her mother’s mental health takes a turn for the worse, Alyssa learns that what she thought was fiction is based in terrifying reality. The real Wonderland is a place far darker and more twisted than Lewis Carroll ever let on. There, Alyssa must pass a series of tests, including draining an ocean of Alice’s tears, waking the slumbering tea party, and subduing a vicious bandersnatch, to fix Alice’s mistakes and save her family.


She must also decide whom to trust: Jeb, her gorgeous best friend and secret crush, or the sexy but suspicious Morpheus, her guide through Wonderland, who may have dark motives of his own.


I haven't read that many books in september, considering that 4 of the 9 books were short stories... And only 1 review is kinda sad, but nonetheless it was an awesome book month. 
I finally read the first Harry Potter (through force by my awesome Pottertwin; Em :D) Of course I love it, so I should thank her! And yes, I'm planning to read the other books as soon as I get my hands on them.
Splintered was amazing! One of the best books I read so far. Just fantastic!




--

5 comments:

  1. Haven't read it yet, but hell, the cover is just gorgeous!! :) :) Glad you liked it! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow- I've seen this book on a few IMM/Sunday Showcase posts and haven't seen a review of it yet. Thanks for the recommendation- I'll look out for your review of it :D
    And I'll just second that about the cover- gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the cover for splintered too :) I have a copy from netgalley to read so looking forward to it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Eeek! Stephanie, I'm so glad you liked Splintered! (My google alert sent me this link--haha!). So excited for the review-to-come! :)

    ReplyDelete

Share your thoughts! ♥