Friday, April 14, 2017

Review: The Bone Witch by Rin Chupeco

Title: The Bone Witch
Author: Rin Chupeco

Series: The Bone Witch #1
Publication: March 7th 2017 by Sourcebooks Fire

Genre: Fantasy ~ Young Adult
Purchase: Amazon | Barnes & Noble | Book Depository | Kobo

Rating: 5/5


Let me be clear: I never intended to raise my brother from his grave, though he may claim otherwise. If there's anything I've learned from him in the years since, it's that the dead hide truths as well as the living.

When Tea accidentally resurrects her brother from the dead, she learns she is different from the other witches in her family. Her gift for necromancy means that she's a bone witch, a title that makes her feared and ostracized by her community. But Tea finds solace and guidance with an older, wiser bone witch, who takes Tea and her brother to another land for training.

In her new home, Tea puts all her energy into becoming an asha-one who can wield elemental magic. But dark forces are approaching quickly, and in the face of danger, Tea will have to overcome her obstacles...and make a powerful choice.


I've enjoyed the author's YA horror books, The Girl from the Well and its sequel The Suffering but I've always felt they missed that little extra to make them full five star reads. Now The Bone Witch, the first book of her new fantasy series, was a very different one compared to her previous books. Different in genre but it also felt like a whole new level of storytelling than I've experienced from her. Consider me throroughly and utterly in awe of this amazing book!

I almost don't know where to start with this story. First of all it has two points of view. The first one is of Tea, who finds out, after she brings her dead brother back to life, that she has the gift of necromancy which makes her a bone witch. The second point of view is in the perspective of a bard. It has a very unique style and is very different compared to Tea's. I totally loved these two POVs. I probably liked the bard's POV the most because it was so deliciously dark and captivating.

Tea definitely was a great character to read about. The story continues over a few years so we actually get to see her growing up a little, learning more about the magic she has and what it all means. I also really liked her brother Fox. I absolutely loved his sense of humor and his relationship with Tea. Because she accidentally raised him from the his grave he is her familiar, which makes them connected and in tune to each other.

There's only hint of romance, which I thought was perfect for this book The story does move slowly so I totally get why some people wouldn't like it. Personally I loved this aspect of it because it build everything up perfectly without rushing anything. And then there's the writing... it was beyond a doubt one of the most beautiful prose I have ever read. It was seriously amazing!

Overall, The Bone Witch by Rin Chupeco is nothing short of brilliant. I would absolutely recommend it to any lover of fantasy, especially to fans of Leigh Bardugo's Shadow and Bone and Kiersten White's And I Darken.





Despite an unsettling resemblance to Japanese revenants, Rin always maintains her sense of hummus. Born and raised in Manila, Philippines, she keeps four pets: a dog, two birds, and a husband.
She is represented by Rebecca Podos of the Helen Rees Agency.
Website | Twitter | Goodreads


11 comments:

  1. Yes!!! I was waiting for your review!!! It really was absolutely spectacular prose! I also loved Fox :P What do you think of the love interest at the end :P???
    Kariny @kariny's boox frenzy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still plan on buying a HC of it because WOW! And I was so surprised. Damn that ending!

      Delete
    2. yeah this kind of cover deserves to be earned in HC :P i was also shocked but i was so happy because i loved that character!

      Delete
    3. Me too! ^_^ And really need the sequel NOW!

      Delete
  2. I've been seeing this one around a lot lately. Glad to hear you enjoyed it so much!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've heard a lot of good things about this book! I've not read it yet but it definitely sounds like something I'd enjoy. Plus, THAT PURPLE COVER. :D I love purple. I'm a little wary of the romance and the ending, so I may wait to binge-read the series. I'm glad you enjoyed this book, Stephanie!

    Have a wonderful weekend. =)

    Alyssa @ The Eater of Books!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great review! I can't wait for my audiobook hold to come in on this at the library! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have heard so many different things about this novel - some saying it is rubbish and others proclaiming it to be amazing, that I just don't know what to do about this one! I am glad you were able to love it so much :) I like that there is only a hint of romance in this one as well...

    ReplyDelete
  6. It sounds like Rin Chupeco is becoming a more experience writer, giving you that extra bit that pushes it to a 5-star. Love the review!

    Lonna @ FLYLēF

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm actually reading this now and deciding if this book is really for me. I wonder this because I didn't like her horror series, but your review has convinced me to give it a chance!

    ReplyDelete

Share your thoughts! ♥